Thursday, 26 June 2008

Cities and Memory

A few atmospheric images from a photographer named Gregory Crewdson. (More images here.) Good colours, staged enough to be interesting and cinematic, a nice creepy edge. Reminds me of a few specific William Eggleston pictures, but more obviously Hopper-esque.

God, I miss America so much! Every now and again some image will act as a potent reminder of the small things I left behind. These photographs, sometimes disconcerting as they are, bring back memories of walking through wide, quiet neighbourhood streets in the evening, and the houses, and the stop signs, and the particular kind of suburban solitude that I don't seem to be able to find anywhere else.


Untitled, Summer 2003, Digital C-print, (Maple street from beneath the roses)

Untitled, Summer 2004, digital C-print, (North by northwest from beneath the roses)

Untitled, Summer 2003, digital C-print, (Clover street from beneath the roses)

Untitled, Summer 2003, digital C-print, (Merchant's row from beneath the roses)


What's this "from beneath the roses" business? Click to enlarge...

No comments: