Thursday, 2 July 2009
Thin Cities
Well hey there. I can't think of much to talk about at the moment, so I thought I'd just post these sketches from a couple of years ago. These are, what, three moleskines back? I think I am out of my moleskine sketchbook phase for now, but back in the day I was crazy for those little black volumes. So soft and durable and handsized. Where was I? Yes, these are some sketches of houses and things, mostly from the States, California and Oregon, but a few from home in the UK too. They were nearly all done with dip-pen for the thicker lines, and a tiny wee fineliner for the details; this is probably not noticeable, but it's the sort of finicky distinction I am all about.
You will also notice these are nearly all face-on, no background, isolated on the page, which is a way that I like to do buildings. I like them pinned down in my sketchbook like they are specimens, like my own personal architectural dead butterfly collection. I also tend to elongate the houses upwards; I especially like this effect for the San Francisco row houses. Some are from photos, some are from life. I don't draw this kind of thing quite as much these days, but I still really like to draw architecture. It can be very soothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












3 comments:
They are fabulous Susie!! People would buy these!!
One day bring it out as a book, a nice collection.
Ah, thanks Amy! But they are really not that great.
Night at Susie's Dad's Museum, however? That is definitely worth making a bijou little chapbook out of.
Ooo ooo ooo the Cork building is especially awesome!
And I agree with both of you about the books (Suse has been sending me your cartoons, Amy...)
Post a Comment