My Dad is a fan of Eric Ravilious, and I always follow a tip. Unless said tip turns out to be fugly, in which case I make vague appreciative noises and then pretend I've forgotten about it. (My friends and loved ones do have excellent taste, it must be said.) Ravilious was an artist who was at his peak between the wars, creating all sorts of commercial art, illustrations, prints etc. He was a war artist in WWII, unfortunately killed in 1942 while accompanying an Air Force mission. I love his colours, his slightly skewed perspectives, and the off-kilter sense of Englishness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








5 comments:
We had a lecture on Ravilious practically as soon as I got to Cambridge. You should come to visit, I'll show you the Fry Gallery at Saffron Walden, loads of cool stuff by Ravilious, Edward Bawden, Sheila Robinson, etc.
Sounds fab. I've heard of Eric Bawden, but who is Sheila Robinson? I feel like I have just discovered a rich vein of war-era illustration talent the existence of which I previously never suspected.
Wow - this is random, I sent my Grandad a birthday card with a Ravilious picture on last week, the one of a train with the white horse in the background. I didn't know who it was by, but I really liked it. And yay - now I know who drew it!
See how it all comes together. Yeah, I like that white horse one. Does anyone know where that white horse actually is? My Dad would know...
I do! I've been there - it's in Berkshire, I think...
Post a Comment